Journey With Jesus
- Welcome and prayer (unpack the great commission)
- (18) And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (19) Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in (Note- Or into) the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Matthew 28:18-19 - ESV
- come to faith in Christ
- grow in Christ
- go in Christ
- praise---"Lord I Need You"
----------truthonmission.org/biblestudy/Journey with Jesus
Becoming separated from my child at the fair.
Mankind has a devastating problem that needs to be resolved. Separation from God
- The source of the separation---misplaced worship--- (define agape)
- (15) Do not love (worship) the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves (worships) the world, the love(worship) of the Father is not in him. (16) For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life (Note- Or pride in possessions)—is not from the Father but is from the world. (17) And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
- 1 John 2:15-17 - ESV (a conflict, a tug of war for ownership of our souls)
- The remedy for this conflict
- (16) For God so loved the world, (Note- Or For this is how God loved the world) that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (17) For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. (18) Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (19) And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darknessrather than the light because their works were evil. (being non repentant is a misdirection of worship)
- John 3:16-19 - ESV
Fortunately, we’re not the first ones to wrestle with this... (the Adamic nature) (exegete)
- (21) But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness (testify) to it— (22) the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: (23) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (24) and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, (25) whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood (currency), to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. (26) It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
- Romans 3:21-26 - ESV
- (8) but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (9) Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
- Romans 5:8-9 - ESV
- 3 circle presentation of the gospel (personalize this, practice this, present this)
- praise---"Goodness of God"
Response to receiving Christ (Baptism) (Lord's Supper)
- Clearest example- (3) Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again (Note- Or from above; the Greek is purposely ambiguous and can mean both again and from above;) he cannot see the kingdom of God."
- John 3:3 - ESV
- What baptism meant (to Nicodemus)
- demonstration of repentance
- associating with the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ
- public testimony
- immersion in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- immersion into the family of God
- Lord's Supper (remember)
- (14) And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. (15) And he said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. (16) For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." (17) And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, "Take this, and divide it among yourselves. (18) For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes." (19) And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." (20) And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.
- Luke 22:14-20 - ESV
- "In Christ Alone"
Getting Ready to Grow Lay your past to rest and move forward
- (19) Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.
- Isaiah 43:19 - ESV. Context--(Post Babylonian captivity physical bondage points to the spiritual bondage they had normalized) (Restoration)( are there restrictions on your spiritual walk today because of feelings of unworthiness?) Do you live in captivity from days gone by?
- (1) Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
- Hebrews 6:1 - ESV. (Having received salvation- remember with thanksgiving and move on)
- (17) Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. (Note- Or creature) The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 - ESV
- When regeneration doubts come, understand sanctification may not look like what you were expecting. Be patient and stay focused. Example-Godly character- We are now Spirit filled/led
With a firm foundation laid, where Do We Go From Here? Growing in Christ
- Continue with confidence
- (13) No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 - ESV
- Time out with God (spiritual body building)
- (8) Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust. Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
- Psalm 143:8 - ESV (God doesn't need instruction from us, we need instruction from Him. He teaches us His ways through an intimate, caring, loving relational experience. A relational gift purchased for us to unpack and receive.God made us for, and adopted us into, His family)
- Feed on God's Word
- (12) For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
- Hebrews 4:12 - ESV (relational, relevant, transforming)
- God's Word is essential to spiritual growth, maturity and effectiveness
- Consume God's Word and let it consume you.
- (1) I appeal to you therefore, brothers, (Note- Or brothers and sisters) by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. (2) Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Romans 12:1-2 - ESV
- There are many Bible reading plans to choose from. Through the Bible in whole or in part, or topical application.
- New relationships- find community of believers to do life with.
- (3) that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.
- 1 John 1:3 - ESV
- New purpose- discover your spiritual gifts
- (31) So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
- 1 Corinthians 10:31 - ESV
- Be on mission(constantly look into opportunities to invest in the Kingdom of God)
- 8) But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."
- Acts 1:8 - ESV
- "You Never Let Go"
- Closing prayer