The Love of My Life
- Welcome/ /Prayer. # vimeo.com/563887436 (NC Missions)
- Psalm 100:(1) Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth! (2) Serve the LORD with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! (3) Know that the LORD, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. (4) Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! (5) For the LORD is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.- ESV
- song of praise- "Build My Life"
- 1 Corinthians 13 (1) If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. (2) And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (3) If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing. (4) Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant (5) or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; (6) it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. (7) Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. (8) Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away. (9) For we know in part and we prophesy in part, (10) but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. (11) When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. (12) For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known. (13) So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love. - ESV
- song of praise- "How Great Thou Art"
- song of praise- "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" youtube.com/watch?v=zeCwwaciAA8
(((truthonmission.org))). Bible Study. The Love of My Life
Throw back to 1980- "Looking for love in all the wrong places" (Johnny Lee- Urban Cowboy)
Well, I spent a lifetime lookin' for you
Single bars and good time lovers were never true
Playing a fools game, hopin' to win
And tellin' those sweet lies and losin' again
I was lookin' for love in all the wrong places
Lookin' for love in too many faces
Searchin' their eyes
Lookin' for traces of what I'm dreaming of
Hoping to find a friend and a lover
I'll bless the day I discover another heart
Lookin' for love
- Haddaway- What is Love- 147.6 mil.
- What is love?
- Oh baby, don't hurt me
- Don't hurt me
- No more
- Baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me
- No more
- What is love?
- No, I don't know why you're not fair
- I give you my love, but you don't care
- So what is right and what is wrong?
- Gimme a sign
- Foreigner- I Want to Know What Love Is- 126.1 mil.
- Keyshi Gale- Love- 92 mil.
- Tina Turner- What's Love Got to do With It- 139.2 mil.
- just a second hand emotion
The world has quite a large spectrum of understanding and experiences about love.
I have great news! We don't have to rely on the worlds experiences to discover true genuine authentic love. An everlasting love. Jesus gave us Devine insight into Love.
Background context (Mark 12:18-27 scribes (copied and knew the law but had grown to miss the Spirit of the law)debate about the resurrection)
- their argument
- their misunderstanding of scripture which distorted truth (earthly over heavenly)
- the present state (of the pas)t in the realm of God- Moses "I Am" not I was
- an earnest scribes curious request - a discerning spirit
- Jesus answers
Mark 12: 28-32 (28) And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, "Which commandment is the most important of all?" (29) Jesus answered, "The most important is, 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. (30) And you shall love (agapeo) the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' (31) The second is this: 'You shall love (agapeo)your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." (32) And the scribe said to him, "You are right, Teacher. You have truly said that he is one, and there is no other besides him. - ESV
When we die there are two things that we hope others will remember us for;
- That we loved God (explain)
- That we loved others (love overflowing (put into practice))
This is the kind of love that should define us individually and by extension, corporately as Christ' church.
I see three things in this passage to examine this morning.
- The source of this love
- The ownership of this love
- The application of this love
Let's examine this love (exegete)
1 John4:7-16. (7) Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God (here's the source), and whoever loves (God's Love) has been born (re-made) of God and knows (intimacy) God. (8) Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. (9) In this the love of God was made manifest (made known) among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. (10) In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us(undeserved) and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. (11) Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. (12) No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us. (we mirror God) (13) By this (loving others)we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit. (indwelling)(14) And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent his Son to be the Savior of the world. (15) Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. (16) So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. - ESV
I John 4:16 "God is Love"
Why should love be the defining mark of our church and our personal ministries?
- It pleases and glorifies God (The defining revelation of God is His Love)(He purchased us with His love, filled us with His love, and sends us with His love)
- It is Biblical (We are told over 50 times in the new testament to love.)
- It is who we are in Christ. (we have the indwelling love of Christ through the Holy Spirit)
- People desperately need love.
- It is effective.
What does this all-consuming love taken "off the leash" look like?
Love pursues others with words of encouragement
- Encouraging words. Life is extremely challenging and people need encouragement.
- Broken hearts abound (remember 3 circles)
- People are discouraged and often feel unappreciated
- Encouragement builds an environment of positive spiritual and emotional health
- a pleasant environment to desire to participate in
- Encouraging words explode with energy.
Love invest in others
- love recognizes the intrinsic value of each person and is committed to each persons personal growth.
Love releases people to do ministry according to their individual spiritual gifts
- "Every Christian is a minister and every minister has a ministry." (sports camp)
Loving people are interruptible
- several 20th century presidents stated the government could never afford the resources required to replace the benevolent acts of the church and that such a great work was supported by the tithes of a few
- time is one of the most valuable things we can give
Love communication is multidirectional and values others opinions
Love perseveres. (John Maxwells brother's prodigal son story)
- Ephesians 4:32 (32) Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. - ESV (true freedom from those who have hurt you comes through forgiveness)
Love is gentle
- Isaiah 40:11. (11) He will tend his flock like a shepherd, he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young.- ESV
- A shepherd has a staff and a rod. The staff is to gently lead the sheep while the rod is for the wolf.
Love practices patience with others
- 1 Thessalonians 5:14. (14) And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, (Note- Or disorderly, or undisciplined) encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. - ESV
- we could all use a little extra grace from time to time
Love isn't rude
- Just going to give some tag words here (inconsiderate talk, disregard for others feelings, taking advantage of, ignoring others contributions, insisting on ones own way)
1. What stands out to you the most about Jesus’ love for people that we read about in the Bible?
2. How have you struggled to love people in your life?
3. What kinds of people are the hardest for you to love?
4. What kinds of people do you find it the easiest to love?
5. Which of these ways to love our church are the most exciting to you?
1. Here’s why love matters
- 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (1) If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. (2) And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (3) If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.- ESV
2. Here's how to make it work in real life
- Philippians 2:1-5 (1) So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, (2) complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. (3) Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. (4) Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. (5) Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, (Note finish reading verses 6-11) - ESV
3. Here’s the power source
- Matthew 6:33 (33) But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. - ESV
Time of Response "Goodness of God"
Closing Prayer. John 13:35. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." - ESV